|Full Name|| Barry Hercules (EN)|
Bongo Heracles (JP)
|Affiliation(s)||Earth Defence Forces|
|First Appearance||Scramble X-Bomber|
|Last Appearance||A New Beginning for the Galaxy|
|Voice Actor(s)|| JP: Shigeru Chiba|
EN: Constantine Gregory
Barry Hercules (Bongo Heracles ボンゴ・ヘラクレス) is the weapons officer on X-Bomber and a graduate of Star Fleet Academy along with Shiro and Lee. He also mans MainBody in Dai-X, leaving him responsible for the main combat maneuvers on the robot.
An excellent marksman, merciless in battle, Hercules is the perfect product of military training, totally indoctrinated by the rulebook. Hercules' ancestry is of Masaai origin, and his bravery in action when facing the greatest dangers inspires the respect of his colleagues. During the Academy, he and Shiro were friendly rivals, both trying to be the top of the school.
Along with Shiro and Lee, Hercules was chosen fresh from Star Fleet Academy as one of the pilots for the X-Bomber project. He is in charge of weapons system for X-Bomber and Dai-X (piloting the MainBody fighter unit that forms the Dai-X’s chest and arms) and handles all weapons with skill and dexterity. He handles the main combat maneuvers on Dai-X,
Hercules has a brusque, no-nonsense attitude and a dangerously short fuse, but keeps his more sensitive side, especially his infatuation of Lamia, well hidden. This, coupled with his wide competitive streak, results in a volatile relationship with Shiro. When Shiro took Lamia out to the Skull, going against Dr. Benn's orders and endangering Lamia's safety, Hercules punched him in the face for doing so.
Hercules also has an unhidden hate/hate relationship with X-Bomber's resident android PPA. Due to PPA's unwarranted superiority complex over what he views as humanities inefficiencies, Hercules is often angered by PPA. Hercules often insults PPA and has on more than one occasion knocked him onto the floor.
Although he has many arguments with his colleagues because of his unyielding character, he is pure of heart and really quite a cheerful soul. He's fiercely protective and loyal whatever his opinions are. He faces the enemy with no concern for his personal safety. Sartorially he favours battle fatigues and his only relaxation seems to be his hobby, playing the guitar.
- Constantine Gregory (English Dub)
- Shigeru Chiba (Japanese Dub)
- Michel Elias (French Dub; Episodes 1-12)
- Marc François (French Dub; Episodes 13-24)
- Giovanni Brusatori (Italian Dub)
- Dawoud Hussein (Arabic Dub)
- His name being changed from Bongo Heracles to Barry Hercules is more than likely to due to the former being interpreted as racist. Even so, Hercules' character is never really portrayed in a stereotypically negative way in either dub.
- Despite this name change, his original name is still visible on his guitar bag in the first episode.
- In the Italian dub, he is known as Harold Bond. In the Arabic Dub, he is named Hani.
- The character of Johnathan James Jr. from Thunderbirds 2086 greatly resembles Hercules. This may not be coincidental as X-Bomber producer Kimio Ikeda also worked on Thunderbirds 2086.